« Home | Jeeps and a buck » | "U.S. deals with Canadian pot head" » | Policeman of the world » | Gay People and People who hang with them are enter... » | Can you say? » | Alfie » | Bystanders can provide hard evidence » | The difference between Marathonbabe & Proudpetite » | Americans, for I celebrate, too... » | "We are not alone" » 

Monday, August 08, 2005

One too many titles to decide here...

Potential titles:

1. Lame pick-up lines of the weekend
2. "Deaf", "single" woman makes all ears and 'johnnies' go up
3. Ratio for Deaf men way too high compared to Deaf women (in my eyes)
4. Couldn't get enough of the creeps and the willies

That is enough to illustrate a picture of what it was all about this past weekend for me. It's happened before but it was too frequent and too claustrophobic for me recently that I had to escape at some times.

RATIO
To begin with, it's so true that the ratio for deaf men is higher to deaf women because I've grown up being the lone female of the gang playing sports, hanging out and so forth. It continued until I went into Gallaudet and I thought I'd find more females there but no, the men were fun to be with. The creeps and the willies were easy to handle because I think the desperation in these men were mild.

Up to the point where men decided to fraternalize themselves with other men, I was left to a choice: be a loner or participate in a sorority. I did have female friends but they were like me who had other circle of friends. My circle of friends just was to busy with their fraternity so I finally joined a sorority - that I can say it was a hell of an experience being with 15 other females everyday for more than a month. I was amazed at how they drove me up to being one of them at the near end prepping for a catfight but really, they all were great and I've learned so much about being a woman.

WOMAN, DEAF and SINGLE
Being a Deaf single woman in late 20s is like a being in a new culture with nobody but with predators. Number of Deaf single women is pretty low and that makes the challenge tough for Deaf men to hunt for Deaf women before they are hunted. I can't blame them Deaf men who want Deaf women for the comfort of the language they communicate in and the culture they can relate to but if they want to get the Deaf women, they can't just use the lame pick up lines!

LAME PICK UP LINES

1. "Tanner is handsome but if he is a yellow lab, he'd be gorgeous because you are."
2. "I can't deal you the cards until you put your underwear on the table"
3. "I see you really well" (for the hundredth time!)
4. "I cannot put the tent up myself so I need your help" when his friend was there helping his tent up.
5. "Can I borrow your thong because I cannot find my swimsuit?"
6. "I like it when you're in your skirt" with a wink.
7. "Can I feel your hair?"

Those were ones of the incessant verbal statements but there were more to it: creepy facial expressions and body languages. I was so grossed out and it was amazing how they had the balls to say that in front of the crowd. I had a few male buddies who saw that and had to laugh so hard or hide their faces because they were embarassed of their friends for saying that. Of course, they didn't do anything. I mentioned to my female friends and gay friends and they helped me out big time. I mean I did stand up for myself. I rejected their offers: free beers, money and help. I talked back and made it clear I am not interested, but sadly, they are truly desperate for a Deaf woman. Deaf women are often nowhere to be seen and when they see one, they just lose their mind.

It is so clear I had a few series of feeling the creeps and willies... Often I walked out and when I did, I wasn't mad at them. I wasn't blaming them. If only we all live in a Martha's Vineyard version, hearies and deafies wouldn't be an issue when finding someone because everyone would know how to sign.

*sighs* I thought I've gotten used to it but no, it just gets worse.

Where are all the Deaf women?!

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Can I feel your hair?

Just kidding.

It made me wonder, does hearing women feel the same way?

I think so? lots of guys are on watch for women???

Heh :)

Yea, I'm pretty sure hearing women feel the same way.

As I see, this is a bit different. You see hearing women and hearing men all over.

Maybe it's just in Ontario that being Deaf single woman is like being a tourist in Africa, Cuba or Jamaica. Maybe it's just me feeling this way. I don't know but this is what I just see and feel.

wow.. some of the lines are really lame. men can be pretty stupid sometimes:)

Add a comment