« Home | Clean Numbers, Horrifying One » | Aventure » | Name-calling formed by Darwinian theories... » | pour l'hygiene » | Roaming Australians » 

Saturday, April 23, 2005

A woman's body

Shutterbabe:

"How many times did I curse my body? How many times did I ponder how much easier my life would have been had I just be born with a Y chromosome instead of an extra X? How many times did I regret the enormous trouble my body caused me, the way it bled and attracted assaults and made me an easy target for any man with a gripe and a will to act upon it? How many times did I wish my body weren't curvy? Or small and weak and useless as a weapon of self-defense?

What an ingrate I was. What a unique gift to have a body that can serve as the vessel of a future life. What a stroke of good design to have breasts that will sustain it. What an important responsibility to be cast as the keeper of the flame instead of the igniters of fires. What ecstasy to feel such a deep, ferocious, overwhelming primal urge, not only to love and to procreate, but to nurture."

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

The last part you wrote made me think of Eve, who wrote the Vagina Monologue. The poem she wrote when seeing her daughter give birth was beautiful. She talked of how the vagina was ripped into bloody mess and how everyone focused on the new baby but forgot about the REAL reason why the baby was safely brought to existence; the torn and bloody vagina. However, it naturally healed and moved on to be a great vagina. It is so symbolic and meaningful! Represents women in general actually.

I would have never thought beyond the popping of a newborn being to be grateful for the torn and bloody vagina for bringing the baby safely but that's quite a perspective I'd never forget. It's so true and yes, symbolic. Now, I got to add this Vagina Monologue in my list of books to read :-)

Add a comment